At Aqua Star, we know that the future of our industry relies on sourcing seafood in a socially and environmentally responsible manner.
Aqua Star sets strict internal standards and works with providers in our supply chain - as well as third-party
organizations - to ensure best practices, maintain traceability, and continually improve performance.
We are dedicated to the long-term health of the local economies and environments in which we operate—and to the well-being of the people who depend on them.
Our Seafood Forever™ program demonstrates our ongoing commitment to responsible sourcing and to meeting our customers’ needs.
We continually strive to provide high-quality, sustainably-sourced seafood to a growing customer base:
• Aqua Star’s wild-caught seafood products feature fish certified through the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) and fish rated “Best Choice” or “Good Alternative” by the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Program
• We also look to other leading ratings programs and nonprofit organizations to help us source products sustainably, including FishSource and Fish Choice. In addition, we have formal partnerships with the Sustainable Fisheries Partnership and Ocean Wise
• Our farm-raised offerings feature seafood certified through the Global Aquaculture Alliance’s Best Aquaculture Practices and the Aquaculture Stewardship Council
• We do not source any species that are recorded on the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN) Red List of Threatened Species
Aqua Star works to keep illegal, unregulated and unreported catch and illegally farmed seafood out of our supply chain and products.
• We can trace products to farm level for aquaculture products and to catch area for wild caught species. We regularly perform, and respond to requests from customers to perform, “tracebacks” on products.
• Aqua Star holds Chain of Custody certifications from the MSC and Aquaculture Stewardship Council.
Aqua Star expects our employees and suppliers to respect human rights and comply with all applicable labor laws.
• Aqua Star’s supplier code of conduct, guided by the Ethical Trading Initiative Base Code, requires that suppliers undergo regular third party social audits to ensure fair wages, safe working conditions, and ethical practices.
Aqua Star production facilities undergo regular third party audits to ensure they adhere to the Global Food Safety Initiative benchmarked standard and are FDA HAACP compliant.