DescriptionA delightfully nutty salad. Grilled calamari and endives with shaved fennel, citrus wedges, roasted garbanzo beans, and pistachios tossed in a savory, citrus grapefruit vinaigrette. A light, refreshing and comforting salad for any occasion.
Calamari Rings & Tentacles
- ¼ cup grapefruit juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp shallot, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Roasted Garbanzo Beans:
- 1 (13.4 oz) can garbanzo beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
Grilled Calamari Salad:
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pink grapefruit, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 endives, halved lengthwise and rinsed
- 1 lb Aqua Star Calamari Rings & Tentacles, thawed according to package directions
- ¼ cup salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf Italian parsley, roughly chopped
InstructionsTo make the Grapefruit Vinaigrette combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk to emulsify.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss garbanzo beans with 1 Tbsp of oil, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, and dash of salt and pepper. Place garbanzo beans in a single layer on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Set aside.
For the salad, remove stalks and outer brown layer around fennel bulb and quarter. Using a mandolin slicer, thinly shave the fennel bulb. Slice red onion with mandolin. Peel and cut grapefruit and orange into bite sized wedges.
Heat a large cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat. When the pan begins to smoke, brush 1 Tbsp of olive oil on the pan and grill endives for 2 minutes each side; season with a dash of salt and pepper. Transfer the endives to a plate and add the remaining 2 Tbsp oil to the pan. Grill the calamari for 3—4 minutes, or until fully cooked, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
In a large salad bowl, combine grilled calamari, grilled endives, citrus wedges, shaved fennel, sliced onion, roasted garbanzo beans, chopped pistachios, and toss with Grapefruit Vinaigrette. Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy!